Application: Do what it takes to maximize your sleep time and encourage drowsiness at the right hour.
- Exercise in the morning or in the early afternoon
- Eat 3-4 hours before bedtime (Optimal dinner time is before the sunsets)
- Take a shower to cleanse the body of toxins and energies to prep the body for sleep
- Sleep before midnight (Optimal Yogi time is around 10 pm)
- Practice asanas that relax the body, such as inversions and forward bends, as opposed to standing asanas and back bends that energize the body
- Practice pranayama or deep breathing before sleeping
- Avoid watching intensely emotional shows or engaging in strenuous activity after dinner. It can disturb deep sleep.
Go Above and Beyond: See statements in parenthesis above. The next two yoga classes will focus on relaxation and soothing asanas to aid in the quest for longer and better quality sleep.